Palmenhaus Vienna

IMG_1426

The so-called ‘Palm House’ is an Art Nouveau greenhouse in the first district of Vienna. It was built from 1902 to 1906 after plans by the architect Friedrich Ohmann. It has a length of 128 meters and a floor area of approximately 2,050 square meters.The decorations were designed by Josef Václav Myslbek. The building houses a café, the so-called ‘Palmenhaus Café’, which is located mid section. The left wing holds the butterfly house and the right wing is used by the Austrian Federal Gardens as greenhouse.

Photo
Vienna 2015

Karl-Borromäus-Fountain

IMG_2569

Photo
Vienna 2014

The listed fountain is located on the Karl-Borromäus-Platz in the 3rd district of Vienna. It is regarded as one of the few examples of free-standing Art nouveau sculptures. Due to the very limited space sculptor Josef Engelhart asked architect Jože Plečnik for help. Subsequently, Eduard Hauser (stone work) and A. Frömmel (casting work) were involved. The marble and bronze fountain was unveiled on 25 May 1909.