The Neuer Markt (New Market, also Flour Market as it used to provide the city with flour and grain) is one of the oldest places in Vienna. It is located to the west of Kärntner Straße in the historic center. During WWII the place was heavily damaged and several buildings were replaced by modern ones. The original private town-houses were built for wealthy Viennese families. The private-house at number 10-11 (shown above) belonged to the family Wild, former traditional delicatessen merchants. It was designed in 1897 by architect Arnold Heymann in the style of german Renaissance.
The Rabenhof theatre is located in the so-called Rabenhof, a municipality building dating back to 1927. The premises originally functioned as workers ballroom, but were converted into the Rabenhof cinema with about 400 seats in 1934. In July 1971 the cinema was closed. The theatre was reopened in April 3, 1990. In summer 2008 an attempt was made to restore the original optical state of the 1920s. Luckily, various interior architectural elements were merely hidden behind wooden panels. The Rabenhof theatre plays a mixture of young, critical theater and cabaret. For several years the so-called protest song contest has been held here.