St. Marx

Photo
Vienna 2019

Advertisements

Empire state of mind

IMG_2815

The Neuer Markt (New Market, also Flour Market as it used to provide the city with flour and grain) is one of the oldest places in Vienna. It is located to the west of Kärntner Straße in the historic center. During WWII the place was heavily damaged and several buildings were replaced by modern ones. The original private town-houses were built for wealthy Viennese families. The private-house at number 10-11 (shown above) belonged to the family Wild, former traditional delicatessen merchants. It was designed in 1897 by architect Arnold Heymann in the style of german Renaissance.