The Oakland Paramount Theatre was built as a movie palace, during the rise of the motion picture industry in the late 1920s. 38-year-old San Francisco architect Timothy L. Pflueger was responsible for the design. He also did the Castro Theatre in San Francisco. The Paramount opened on December 16, 1931. The Art Deco design referred to the 1925 Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes in Paris. Today the 3,040 seat theatre is the home of the Oakland East Bay Symphony and the Oakland Ballet. It regularly plays host to R&B, jazz, blues, pop, rock, gospel, classical music, as well as ballets, plays, stand-up comedy, lecture series, special events, and screenings of classic movies from Hollywood’s Golden Era.