Entrance to the so-called 21er Haus (pavement)
The House 21 is a modernist style steel and glass building designed by Austrian architect Karl Schwanzer (1918–1975). Originally constructed as the Austrian pavilion or temporary showroom for the Expo 58 in Brussels, it was later transferred to Vienna to house the Museum of the 20th Century. Between 1979 and 2001, the building also acted as a depository for contemporary art works. From 2009 to 2011, it was remodeled by the architect Adolf Krischanitz and consequently renamed House 21. The museum is a branch of the Belvedere Museum, focusing on Austrian art of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries and its embedding in an international context.